Thursday, December 30, 2010

ಹೆಂಡತಿಯರೆಲ್ಲ ಹೀಗೇನಾ?


"ಕಾರ್ಯೇಷು ದಾಸಿ; ಕರನೇಶು ಮಂತ್ರಿ;
ರೂಪೇಚ ಲಕ್ಷ್ಮಿ; ಕ್ಷಮಯಾ ಧರಿತ್ರಿ;
ಭೋಜ್ಯೇಶು ಮಾತಾ; ಶಯನೇಶು ರಂಭಾ"
Am not sure how many among our generation have ever heard the above Sanskrit shloka. Well if you haven't heard it, never mind, its never late to make an effort in knowing the meaning of this shloka which describes WOMAN in her entirety.
As always my effort to remember the shloka at this juncture arose from the people I meet daily, who in all the aspects have become a never ending resource for exploring the hidden stories of human nature. Yes, they are my Patients, each of them being a novel of different emotions!
The story goes like this....
The other day, a young guy aged around 24 walked in to our OPD ( its urology and andrology OPD). He was clad in his middle classed attire, looking rather worried as if his problem is solution-less. Seating himself rather hurriedly on the examination chair, he placed some of his investigation reports on my table. So without any formal introduction I was already being forced by this young man to just concentrate on his problems rather than wasting time in talking to him. I controlled my emotions to scold him, coz now-a-days it has become so irritating that people want doctor to just prescribe them medicines as they themselves would have made some shabby diagnosis of their problem, and they will be prejudiced to such an extent that you say anything contrary to what they believe their problem is, thats it; you just lost a patient. He/she will already be walking out of the chamber in hunt of another doctor!
So going by his reports, the guy had fertility problems with him, result of which he was not able to beget any children. His preliminary reports suggested that he rather try to go for the newer artificial insemination techniques, which seemed to be out of his budget when I explained him the options. He was bent upon trying to sneak some way to overcome this problem of his which made my work of consoling him much harder.
Now, whats the twist in this, you may ask isn't it? Well, here it is. During the conversation the guy revealed that he is HIV positive ( in laymen words AIDS). Shocking! Not that we never see such guys, as day in and out we see people who are infected and it is yet another viral disease for us which has been wrongly publicised in a rather scary way. Shocked for the fact that the guy knowing that he is infected and also knowing that this disease will be transmitted by sexual act, is still willing to have a child of his own!!!
Let me make one point clear here. Every person desiring to have a baby is normal and so is this guy. Am not against his desire. But, my concern was, this guy not only is gonna die an early death, but also will intentionally transmit the disease to his wife and also his unborn child who both will meet an early death. In simple words, he is planning for two homicides just to fulfill his desire. Is this action acceptable?? Never, as far as me in concerned.
So this background of his made my work of counselling him much more gruelsome as he is never accepting my point at all. As a last resort I asked him if his wife had come with him to which he summoned her inside the room. She was a young lady in her 20s, recently married, and she was educated till pre-university college. Knowing this I thought my job might get easier once I convince this girl about the future consequences by the guy's intentions. So, not wanting to hurt her emotions I just said that if he has sexual contact with her, even she too will get the disease and if they have a child, then chances of the kid having the disease are also high. The girl 's reaction was an affirmative nod suggesting she knew it!!
So not wasting my time, I said directly that she might die early death just because of him. Guys, you wont believe me. The PU learned girl said- I know! I don't mind dying. I just want my husband's desire to be fulfilled. Gosh!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Is this a Karan Johar movie??!!
Speechlees for the next 5 minutes. Come'on now if you guys' were in my situation what would have you done? So, grabbing myself back to the scene, I said that he is never gonna have children because his medical condition meant he had just 0.005% chances of conceiving( which was fortunate though). Just advised him to adopt any child if he had such a strong will to raise a child and the guy finally borrowed my words when he felt that was the last option in front of him.
I was done with the guy, but what still keeps me haunting is the girl's words. I don't know who wrote the above shloka, but she was totally like that- accepting him as her husband in his sickness and also death!
My conscience keeps asking me- ಯಾಕೆ ಹೆಂಡತಿಯರೆಲ್ಲ ಹೀಗೆ!?.......

5 comments:

  1. It is really commendable that you were finally able to convince them to adopt a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anikethana,
    Well from my part I felt he borrowed my words, but I don't know whether he remains by his words or still goes on doc hunting.
    He has been coounselled by a psychiatrist too, but in vain. We need better counsellors.
    cheers
    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really Touching and disturbing!! You have described the incident very well. I feel really sorry for that ill fated lady. How stupid that guy is?!? Is this a tragedy of our marriage system? She sounds more like a victim produced by the combination of “Stockholm Syndrome” and “cognitive dissonance”. I do not want to sound judgmental, though. I do really hope she really loves her man and that guy deserves her as a wife!

    - Niharika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Niharika,
    Well its disturbing because our system is not ready enough to publicize enough about the disease. To be harsh, people still don't speak the word- CONDOM openly in public out of shy and some critics blame the maker of the movie -Harry Potter wherein no one dares to spell the name of Lord voldemort as childish concept.
    And believe me, I had to go back to books to search for 'cognitive dissonace' as we don't go through psychiatry in detail being in surgery.
    But I am bemused by your vastness of concepts and even that you are a techie.Kudos to you.
    Cheers
    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rakesh,

    So kind of you! Thank you for appreciation. Just happened to read an article (http://drjoecarver.makeswebsites.com/clients/49355/File/love_and_stockholm_syndrome.html) which was redirected from a blog post where it concluded (in a fun way) that people in dead-end IT sector jobs are suffering from Stockholm syndrome!! All I did was copy & paste and just being a Jack here!!

    Yes, you are right – there is a need to create ‘real’ awareness. I honestly appreciate all your efforts in educating people or enrolling them to other alternatives like in the above incident! All the best……

    - Niharika

    ReplyDelete